Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Critters

Having our own fuzzy critter on board doesn't detract from our excitement from spotting other animals while cruising.  Being attacked and bitten by a wild creature is a pretty regular occurrence for me, and I'm really counting on our cat Hope growing out of that behavior at some point. In the mean time, I'll share some photos of other wild animals we have encountered so far on our trip.  We have been seeing seals pretty regularly in our anchorages each evening, and they seem to enjoy sneaking up on us while we are rowing our inflatable, but I keep forgetting to take a picture of one.
In one anchorage I counted seven raccoon patrolling the beaches around our boat.  Several of them would swim from one small island to the next looking for food, this is the first time I had seen them swim any distance.
We also spotted a pair of weasels catching smalls crabs on the shore one afternoon.  I'm not great at small mammal identification, but my guess would be that they were mink.  If someone with a regular internet connection can confirm or provide a positive ID it would be great.
When I originally wrote this, we hadn't yet seen a bear, but because I couldn't get access to our blog at the next stop I had to wait to post this and since then spotted our first bear, so I can include a picture of him/her as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment