Tuesday, May 24, 2011

More Critters

There is a lot to like about this lifestyle.  I'm sure as time goes on I will write about many of the positive aspects of traveling by sailboat, but there is one event in particular that I would choose as my favorite.  There are certain species of dolphins and porpoise that will interact with the boat when you get close to them, swimming just in front of the boat or playing alongside.  During our trip in 2009 we had quite a few interactions with Dall's Porpoise, and at one point posted a short video of them playing around our boat.  As we were leaving our anchorage the other day, I noticed splashing further out in the channel, and it turned out to be a pod of Pacific White Sided Dolphins.  We sat for a while watching them, and then when we turned the boat to head up the channel they followed along for 5 or 10 minutes playing around the boat.  There were probably at least 50 individuals in the group, maybe more, and even with that many close at hand I still failed to get any really good photos.  At least the pics I got show how close they get to the boat and some of their antics.



We also found another bear anchorage, I'm sure there will be many more, but this one featured one bear within spitting distance to the boat, and at least four more at the far end of the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment