As any of our sailing friends know, in fact probably most of our friends aquatic or otherwise, plans never seem to last long, but we always agonize over making them anyway. Nicole and I have spent a lot of time deciding "what's next?". Now that we are both unemployed our options are again fairly wide-open. Not quite as wide open as in the past, since along with a neurotic kitty, we now have a 9 month old daughter in tow, but comparatively unencumbered non-the-less. I don't really feel like I am done with Southeast Alaska (and may never be) so we decided we will head back out on the boat for the summer and see how things go with our new crew. We're keeping an open mind about the whole thing, not knowing what we really have in store for us, but being fairly confident we can handle the realities of cruising with an infant. If this happens to last hours, days, weeks or months only time will tell, but we want to give it a shot and see. With a good dose of uncertainty as to the longevity of the trip, we decided to make some other plans as well, knowing we didn't want to spend another winter in Sitka. I'm sure my mother wishes this is the point that we announce we bought a house, but no such luck, at least not in the way she is thinking.
If you noticed earlier that I mentioned the three of us road-tripping, you may wonder "What about the cat?". Truth is, we are wondering about that too. I don't think she will enjoy months of road travel in a small van, so if anyone would be willing to adopt her, or at least get into a long term cat sitting position, please let us know. She's really not as bad as I make her out to be, and certainly deserves better than a cage in the van or going back to the shelter. Let us know and we can work out the details.
As far as news from Sitka, we recently had family visiting here, but I will save that for the next post, along with some long awaited pictures of Madeline.